Since this is the last day of purple week, I thought I would share my favorite purple recipe for grown-ups. I was 30 years old before I got up the nerve to taste purple cabbage, and it was this recipe that made me a believer! hehe Although it looks prettiest when freshly made (and before the cabbage dyes all the ingredients purple), this is great to make ahead, as the flavors intensify with time.
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 1 ½ cups corn
- 2 cups black beans
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 cups cabbage
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 large tomato, diced (optional)
1. Place pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat and cook, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
2. Use Vitamix to chop the cabbage. (Cut half cabbage into 1 inch chunks and put in Vitamix. Add water until 7 cups, or cabbage lifts off blade. Put on variable speed 5 and turn on for 5 seconds. Drain well in mesh strainer, and repeat with other half of the cabbage.)
3. Blend lime juice, oil, cilantro, salt and pepper (or whisk in a small bowl).
4. In a large bowl, gently mix the corn, pine nuts, beans, cabbage, onion, and tomato, if desired. Pour dressing on and toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*This versatile mix can be eaten alone, scooped with tortilla chips like a salsa, on top of lettuce like a salad, or even wrapped with sour cream and guacamole in a tortilla!